Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 7: Chocolate Chip Cookies

On day seven I was lucky enough to be a participant in the First Annual Bling in the New Year Fun Run to support Gilda's Club of Metro Detroit. This was a 5k scavenger hunt through out Royal Oak's downtown area . At each participating stop we had to either answer a trivia question or do a task of some sort to receive our bling (a plastic beaded necklace).

Some of our favorite stops included The Aquarium Shop, where I answered the question wrong and had to reach into a tank of maggots to get our "bling". And then there was Holiday Market where my teammate pushed me through the store (full of shoppers thinking we were crazy) in a shopping cart. The race ended at a local establishment and we each were rewarded for our efforts with a nice cold beverage. We had an absolute blast and it was all for a great cause! These girls rock :)




After the race I went home to bake the cookie of the day. My parents were coming over to babysit that evening so at my dad's request I made chocolate chip cookies. After writing the post about my first cookie baking experience I think my dad just wanted to make sure I wasn't serving burnt bottom...and some how raw in the middle...cookies to the boys.

A good chocolate chip cookie recipe is hard to beat. My favorite still is the Nestle Toll House recipe on the back of the bag.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Nestle Toll House Recipe)


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup of mini chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl sift together dry ingredients, set aside.
Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla together.
Add eggs ONE at a time.
Gradually stir in dry mixture.
Stir in mini chocolate chips.
Place a rounded teaspoon of dough on the cookie sheet
Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes.
Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute then transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling.


Since I have made this cookie for the boys before I decided that over the next four days I will bake a different chocolate chip cookie.
After each cookie is tasted I will have them rate the cookie and I will reveal their favorites in the end.  

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yum! Always mess this one up - flat as pancakes.:(

Unknown said...

My cousin, Michelle, gave me a great tip. Try using bread flour in place of all purpose. Let mr know how they turn out!