Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 27: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies by Christina Nesbitt

The final COD guest blogger is my cousin, Christina. Having boys the same ages has allowed us to bond with each other on a whole new level.There is nothing like the understanding of another mother of boys!! I only wish we lived a little closer to each other:)

Not only is Christina a very good baker she is an extremely talented photographer. The pictures she took below will by far be the best pictures you will see on this blog. Christina is one of the most supportive people I know. She always has something positive to say. Her children are wonderful and I admire the parent she has become. I'm looking forward meeting her new addition soon :). Below is a picture of us and with our grandpa. One of my favorite pictures ever!

Michelle, Andrea, Christina, Stephanie and Emily with Grandpa Caponi



*******************************


Growing up in the Caponi family and having 2 children of my own (with a 3rd on the way),  I looked up to my Grandma Caponi immensely when it came to my baking and cooking, so much in fact, that my boys’ lunches are not complete without a homemade cookie. Being a Caponi has taught me not only to make homemade cookies but homemade pasta, pizza and breads too! It tastes better when it is homemade!

When my boys were little we would spend afternoons baking. I always found it a good way to fill a rainy afternoon plus it was a great bonding experience! Some of my favorite memories are when my boys were little helping me bake. It wasn’t always the cleanest experience but it was fun! Now that they are 9 and 7 our schedules are much busier. Between school, work, basketball games, soccer practices and friends it is nice that every so often we can still come together and bond over some dough.
In remembering the times when they were little, I made chocolate crinkle cookies. They loved making these because they enjoyed rolling the dough into balls and then rolling the balls into powder sugar!


Chocolate Crinkles


2 cups plus 2 tbsp of flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup of butter, at room temp.
1 ¾ cups of sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 square (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
½ cups of confections’ sugar

Mix flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.



Beat in eggs until mixture is pale yellow,




then add vanilla and chocolate until blended. Gradually add flour mixture mixing just to blend. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.

Heat oven 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into about 1 ¼ inch balls.





Roll in confectioners’ sugar.
 


Place on a baking sheet.

Bake about 12 minutes until tops are puffed and cracked.

No comments: