Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 59: Ooey Gooey S'more Brownies



The count down has begun! The kids have 16 days left of school, then it's summer vacation!!! I cannot wait for the lazy days at the pool, nights at the ball park and relaxing by the fire pit in the back yard. With outdoor fires comes the inevitable question from the boys..."Can we make S'mores???"

There is something about the thought of S'mores that instantly transports me to summers on Lake Huron. My Mom's family has been going to the same cottage rental place, Lakeport Resort, since she was a child. And thanks to my Grandpa Lankin, we will be spending a week there with the kids this year! I have so many great memories of our weeks at the cottage. Swimming in Lake Huron, playing on the beach, walking to the skipping pond to skip rocks...then getting in trouble for walking by myself to the skipping pond.

I had to be about Noah's age when I thought I was left behind on a walk to the pond. So, took off down the beach to catch up. Well, in the olden "pre-every kid having a cell phone" days once I left the cottage property I was on my own. I knew the way and thought I would catch up with the rest of the group, eventually. As I got closer to the skipping pond I realized that my uncle and brothers weren't there. I started to panic, not because I was alone, but because I knew I was going to be in TROUBLE. When my uncle and brothers came back to the cottage (they walked the opposite direction on the shore) with out me, it was realized I was missing.

I don't remember how much time passed from the moment it was discovered I was gone to the time I showed back up. At the time, I could only imagine the panic my parents and family must have felt, until I was the parent in a similar situation.

Last fall, I couldn't spot Noah while we were in a wave pool at a popular indoor water park. I was next to Ian. Dane was right behind me...but I couldn't see Noah. I kept telling myself, he is 12. He is a great swimmer. He is fine...but panic still set in. I still couldn't find my child. I took the other two boys out of the pool and started walking around the pool. Then I saw him happily bopping up and down in the waves on a tube. Smile from ear to ear. Only minutes passed, but boy the worry that went through my head!

I know, Karma. So now, I would like to publicly apologize to my parents for leaving the cottage with out telling anyone where I was going. I am soooo sorry!

After my parents found out I was okay, they hugged me and then grounded me to the inside of the cottage for the rest of the evening.  The next day, we were sitting by the campfire and my uncle started singing a campfire song. One of the lyrics...."getting in trouble for walking down the beach by yourself...AAAAmen, amen, amen!"

I was handed a S'more and learned my lesson.

This brownie is sure to stir up S'more memories (hehe) of your own, and the best part...no campfire needed!

Ooey Gooey S'more Brownies




Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup crushed graham crackers
3 tbs of melted butter

Brownie
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Topping
1/2 cup broken chocolate pieces
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup graham cracker pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together crushed graham cracker and melted butter press into a greased brownie pan. bake at 350 degrees until set, 5-8 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool.
Mix together melted butter and sugars.
Add eggs and vanilla, stir well.
Mix in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips.
Pour brownie batter over cooled (doesn't have to be cooled completely) graham cracker crust.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove the pan before center of the brownie sets. *I start watching at 15 minutes*
Add the toppings press gently into the batter.
Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes more until batter is set and marshmallows are golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool completely.






No comments: