Sunday, December 30, 2012

Spiced Nuts for #SundaySupper


Our #SundaySupper team is having a party and you are all invited!!! We will be sharing recipes from the one and only Emeril Lagasse.  Come and join us starting at 7EST on twitter. Follow #SundaySupper and you may win one of the Emeril cookbooks we are giving away (see below for how to qualify to win).
Emeril is affectionately known as “Bam” in my home. When the boys were younger, they would watch his show and run around the house yelling his famous catch phrase.

We have all been faced with the “What to Bring?” dilemma after receiving an invitation to a Potluck. Some people have a go to potluck dish. My Aunt Janet can always be counted on to bring the strawberry pretzel Jell-O and my Aunt Judy makes the best caramel apple salad. Bringing a delicious dish to a potluck can make you the star of the party. Bringing a not so delicious dish can do the opposite. And that’s the last thing any of us wants! Emeril has the perfect solution, a potluck cookbook!

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Emeril’s Potluck Cookbook. After thumbing through the pages, there was one thing I knew for sure. Bringing any of these to a party would surly put me in the star category. I decided to make Emeril’s Spiced Nuts.  I loved the idea of roasting mixed nuts. This is a quick recipe is perfect to put out when guests stop by. Much nicer than a bowl of chips!
 
 

Spiced Nuts
Recipe Courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril’s Potluck William Morrow Publishers, New York 2004.

 
½ teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ teaspoon cinnamon

4 cups unsalted mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

 

1.       Mix spices and reserve.

2.       Heat the nuts in a dry skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to toast, about 4 minutes. Add butter and cook, stirring until the nuts begin to darken, about 1 minute. Add the spices, the sugar, 1 tablespoon of water, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and the nuts are glazed, about 5 minutes.

3.       Remove the nuts from heat and transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, separating them with a fork. Let the nuts stand until cooled and the sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.


Variations: Just because I love it so much, I added ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg. However, adding dried fruit would be delicious, too.

Come and see what the rest of the #SundaySupper crew made for the party.

 

This week’s Sunday Supper Recipes:

Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
 
I am beyond thrilled and excited to a part of this week’s Kicked-Up New Year’s Potluck featuring Recipes by Emeril Lagasse! Follow #SundaySupper on December 30th to participate.

Giveaway Rules
 
1. You must follow me (@cookieaday) on twitter.
2. You must participate in tonight's #SundaySupper chat on twitter starting at 7pm ET.
 
 
This will be one #SundaySupper chat not to miss. Let’s send 2012 out with a “Bam!”
 
 


 

You can purchase Emeril’s Potluck here and Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches here.

24 comments:

Cindy @ CindysRecipesandWritings said...

These look delicious Stephanie! I love flavored nuts!

Unknown said...

Delish! Would love to have these as a part of my New Year's Eve celebration.

Family Foodie said...

These look absolutely gorgeous! Looking forward to many more #SundaySupper Events with you in 2013!

Jen @JuanitasCocina said...

LOVE the spices in these! Gorgeous!

And happy new year!

Shelby | Diabetic Foodie said...

I love spiced nuts. Emeril's version sounds perfect.

Heather S-G said...

Funny you should mention pretzel jello...it's something I've always wanted to try! And spiced nuts? Well, I find them irresistible. Delicious...happy new year! :)

Jennie @themessybakerblog said...

Bam is my favorite catchphrase, too. These spiced nuts look delish. Happy New Year!

Stephanie {TheCookieADayChallenge} said...

It's definetly worth trying!!! Have a happy 2013!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you, Jennie! What's not to like about "Bam!"???

Unknown said...

His version was perfect, just the right amount of spice (even for the kids!) Happy New Year, Shelby!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Cindy! These are a must try. Have a Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

They are a perfect addition to any New Year's celebration...I may even make them again for our Super Bowl Party! Have a wonderful New Year, Rene!

Unknown said...

Thanks :) I am looking forward to many more wonderful #SundaySupper events thanks to you, Isabel! Have a Happy New Year!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jen! Cheers to a happy 2013!

Bea @ The Not So Cheesy Kitchen said...

Beautiful presentation!!! I made the mixed nuts as well and are they not delicious?! ~ Bea @ Galactosemia in PDX

Laura Hunter said...

Weren't these so addicting? I am going to make another batch tomorrow.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked said...

Mmm...I love spiced nuts. This sounds like a fabulous blend of salty, sweet and spicy. I can only imagine how addictive these would be. I'm very intrigued with your aunt's pretzel jello - I've never heard of that before? Does it actually involve both pretzels and jello? Anyways, have a very happy New Year!

Constance Smith said...

You seriously can't go wrong with spiced nuts of any kind! I'm following :) @FoodieArmyWife

Martin D said...

Great looking recipe...and I LOVE nuts! Definitely going to try this one!

Tammi @ Momma's Meals said...

These look delish! And they seem easy to put together too! Love the idea of mixing fruit with it!! Happy New Years!

Shannon said...

I enjoyed the #SundaySupper chat! Thank you very much! @frogger097

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips said...

I threw these nuts together the other day with some almonds I had. So good!

Kim Bee said...

These nuts look wonderful. I love spiced nuts. Happy New Year!

Dennie said...

Unusual recipe - must try this for my next holiday event.