Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 2: Toffee and White Chocolate Chip Cookies

The first time I remember making cookies on my own I had to be about 14 years old. I recall being in my parents kitchen and going through my mom's cupboards to find all the ingredients listed on the back of the bright yellow package. I followed the directions perfectly (or so I thought). I measured the dry ingredients and set them aside. Then mixed the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together.

It was now time to marry the dry and wet ingredients. The recipe said to add the dry flour mixture slowly, but being only 14 years old I was just a little impatient. So I dumped the whole bowl of flour into the mixture and started to blend. Much to my surprise, the flour shot out of the bowl creating a cloud flour around me. I was covered in flour.

I did manage to get a dough of sorts onto a cookie sheet and place it into the oven. As I was cleaning up I actually thought the cookies were smelling pretty good. Then like teenagers do, I got distracted. I forgot about the cookies in the oven until it was too late.

When I pulled them out they were as hard as hockey pucks, and that good smell from earlier was trumped the obnoxious stench of burnt chocolate.

Fast forward to today. I have since mastered the Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe and have found that it is a great base for almost any cookie you would like to make.

We were having a few friends and their kids over the other night so I wanted to make more of a kid style cookie. I looked through my pantry and saw I had some white chocolate chips and a bag of toffee pieces and decided to make the cookies below.



Toffee and White Chocolate Chip Cookies



2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup of white chocolate chips
1 cup of toffee pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
In a bowl sift (I am a big fan of sifting my dry ingredients. Here is a great article by



 to help explain Why Sift?)  the dry ingredients together, set aside.
Mix the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract together until creamy.
Add eggs one at a time.
SLOWLY mix in the dry ingredients
Stir in in white chocolate chips and toffee chips.
Drop rounded teaspoons on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute then transfer to a wired rack to cool completely.




Noah: "Not bad!!"

                                            
                                                 Dane: "Awesome!!"


                  Ian: "The white chocolate tastes like REAL chocolate!!"



The cookies were a big hit with the kids and Noah's buddy even asked if he could take some home. These would be a great alternative to the everyday chocolate chip cookies. 










No comments: