Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 16: Chocolate Cookie with White Chocolate Chips

There have been a few accomplishments in my life that I am truly proud of. One of which was completing the Detroit Marathon in 2010.

My husband, Adam has always been a runner and ran his first marathon back in 2007. Since then running has become a huge part of his life. Seeing how much he got from running inspired me to do the same. Setting our sights on running 26.2 miles and then actually crossing the finish line
made me feel so alive.

There was a moment during the first 10 miles of the race where I looked to my left and to my right and realized that most of the people I was running next to were going to be done running in 3.1 miles...and I had 16.2 more to go! It wasn't until I made the turn to keep running that it hit me. As I went left 98% of the people keeping me company for the past 2 hours turned right. I was one of the 2% that continued. That was the first time I teared up during the race.

The second was as I was approaching the finish line and saw my boys. Adam, Noah, Dane and Ian were all there cheering me on. I felt like I couldn't take another step, then it happened. They all ran next to me and gave me the motivation I needed to finish.

(this is one of my favorite family pictures of all time)

Today was the first day to register for the Chicago Marathon...and we did!!! We will be hitting the 26.2 once again this time with my cousin (this will be her first) and her husband. Luck for us we have another cousin who along with his lovely wife live in Chi Town. I am so excited for her to experience the feeling of completing a marathon and to spend time with some of my favorite people. This trip (to steal a saying from Noah) is going to be Epic.

To celebrate our new adventure I made these Chocolate Cookies with White Chocolate Chips. How else are we going to stay in shape while eating all these cookies :)


Chocolate Cookies with White Chocolate Chips


1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended.
Beat in eggs.
Gradually add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Flatten balls slightly.
Bake cookies until edges begin to firm but center still appears soft, about 9 minutes.
Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes.
Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.



Now, to figure out how to bake cookies while running a marathon.....



No comments: