Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 20: Cherry Chocolate Chip Biscotti

I have mentioned before that my Grandma Caponi was a fabulous baker. She would have something in the oven daily and she took such pride in what she was doing. As a child, the only store bought cookies I remember seeing in her home were the occasional Angel Wing (AKA Polish Chruciki)  or Keebler Fudge Striped Cookies.

She included biscotti as one of her cookie staples. So, when a friend on facebook recommended I try a biscotti cookie for this site I thought: "Yes!!"  Why just one day of biscotti??? How about a whole week!

Welcome to biscotti week!!!

To begin I picked a recipe I usually bake at Christmas time. The cherries in this biscotti always looked festive to me, and what is prettier then a tray full of biscotti???

Cherry Chocolate Biscotti
(recipe from Pillsbury Best Cookies Cookbook)


3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
3 Eggs
3 Cups of Flour
1/2 Cup Chopped Candied Cherries
1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips


Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease cookie sheet.
Mix together sugar and butter.
Add almond extract and eggs, blend well.
Add flour and baking powder, mix well.
Stir in cherries (I add a little juice sometimes) and mini chocolate chips.

Shape dough into two 10 inch rolls. Place rolls on a cookie sheet and flatten each to 3 inches wide..
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from cookie sheet and cool for 10 minutes.


With a serrated knife, cut rolls diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.


Place cookies cut side down on an ungreased cookie sheet.



Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown. flip cookies over and bake an additional 5 minutes.


Remove from cookie sheet and cool on rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled. Plate and serve.


 


Noah: "These are perfect with milk."
Dane: "I love them."
Ian: "Um, no thanks. I don't like cherries."

No comments: