Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 30: Mustache Cookies

Finally! The recipe to go with the Special Valentine Project. Like I said in my earlier post, we are a big fans of mustaches. Every time we past a vending machine, or a store known to carry mustache goods the boys beeeggggg to get something.

When I saw these cookie cutters I actually screamed with excitement: "Noah!!! LOOOKKKK!!!!"
Noah as 12 year olds do, looked at me like I was insane.

The cookie cutters I found are called Munchstaches. I found them at a little specialty store in our downtown area. You can also find them online.

I found a Chocolate Cookie Cutout recipe in Martha Stewart's Cookies book. I was a little hesitant to try it after the fortune cookie disaster. But, I  decided to give Martha another shot.

Since the dough needs to be refrigerated overnight, Dane helped me make the dough after dinner.

Mustache Cookies
(adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies Chocolate Cookie Cutouts)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (no need for fancy, I used Hershey's Cocoa Powder)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

NIGHT BEFORE BAKING

Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl



Put butter and powdered sugar in the mixer bowl




Cream powdered sugar and butter for about 3 minutes.

***Make sure you start your mixer on low so this doesn't happen***



Mix in egg and vanilla


Slowly add in flour/cocoa mixture


Once dough is mixed, place in a gallon size zipper bag and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Lightly flour your work surface and roll out your dough and cut out your cookies




Once your cookies are cut place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool.



Have fun, and then eat!!!

 

1 comment:

BBC said...

Hi! I'm making these right now! Thanks for sharing your recipe! How many munchstaches did this recipe make? Thanks!