Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 62: Birthday Cake Cookies-Happy Birthday, Dane!



Yesterday was Dane's 9th birthday. I feel like I need to pinched. It was just yesterday that I remember going to the hospital to have him. When my boys were younger, I remember always looking forward to the next step. The first smile, the first mushy "solid" foods, walking, taking, preschool, kindergarten, sports, third grade...and all that was in between.
As I was looking forward to the next step something happened, Dane grew up! I know we all say it, but these 9 years FLEW by! When did this...:




become this?



With that said, I have enjoyed watching my baby boy turn into such a wonderful kid. His school held their annual field day last week. I went to watch Dane and Ian participate. This event is designed by the school's gym teacher and meant to be fun. The kids even get Popsicles at the end.
Each classroom is split into three teams; red, white and blue. Dane was placed on his classrooms white team. A little background on Dane, he is highly competitive and with that comes a real distaste for losing.

As I watched his team compete in the relay. Dane had his turn and gave it his all. Then I watched as the other two teams finished (well before his team) and some of the other kids on the white team were starting to get discouraged and frustrated.

Then it happened. My uber competitive child stood up and started cheering for his team mate, who happens to be a special needs child. Out of the eight kids on his team, he was the only one.
He was cheering, "You can do it!" Keep it up!" You're almost there!" "Way to go!!!"
By the time his teammate crossed the finish line, Dane was joined in his cheering by a few more teammates. There were high fives and fist-bumps between Dane and this child. Then it was off to the next event.

This story gives a little glimpse into the type of person Dane is becoming and makes me proud to be his mom. Dane wanted to bring "something that is a mix between a cookie and a cupcake" in to his classroom for his birthday treat. I was lucky enough to find this very simple recipe on Grandma Betty's (Betty Crocker) website. I tried using the little dot sprinkles, but it turned the first batch purple. On the second and third I used mini chocolate chips and think they turned out perfect!


Birthday Cake Cookies

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANE!!!!!



1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of melted butter
1 egg
1 tbs milk
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 can of white frosting
candy sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together cake mix, melted butter and milk.
Add chocolate chips, stir.
Roll a teaspoon sized amount of dough into a ball. (I found that this gave the cookies the best shape)
Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.


Now it's time to assemble
Once cooled, take two like sized cookies
Add frosting to the bottom of the first one sprinkle with candy
Place second cookie on top.
Repeat until finished.

1 box of cake mix makes about 10 completed Birthday Cake Cookies. I made 3 boxes to make sure we had enough to sample and to give to Dane's class. The possibilities with these are endless! Please share you experiences, if you have made them before or are going to make them for a specific event. I cannot wait to read what you come up with!





Dane reported that the kids in his class LOVED their treat :)
Don't miss out on the daily COD! Like the Cookie A Day Challenge on facebook, follow @cookieaday on Twitter and follow on cookieaday on Instagram for pictures of the daily yumm. 

No comments: