Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 73: Chili Dark Chocolate Cookies

Sometimes I feel like trying something different. I was watching one of my favorite food shows, Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and while in the kitchen the cook was going through his famous chili recipe. Then it came. The cook pulled out his secret ingredient, cocoa powder!  Hmmm. Chili and Chocolate? Why not!

I put was beginning to put this recipe together when I realized I didn't have chili powder. So I ran up to the corner market with the boys. I also needed a few other things, so it was worth the trip. As we were checking out the cashier smiled and said to the boys: "Looks like you are have some homemade chili for dinner"

Ian shook his head at her and said, "No, that's for our cookie!"

The cashier didn't believe him. Then Noah and Dane chimed in. "Seriously, our mom is using it for our Cookie of the Day."

She looked puzzled, "What's the cookie of the day?" she asked.

Then it happened. It was the first time since I started this project that stopped to think about what this challenge means to the kids (besides the obvious desire for cookies). For a good 10 minutes I listened to all three of my boys explain The Cookie A Day Challenge. Each one of them had something different to say.

Noah talked about how I started my own website and then proceeded to explain how I knew nothing about websites (he's right).

Dane told her about the time I was on the radio and he thought I sounded like a professional.

Ian went on about how Adam got me a new fancy camera last year for Christmas and now I never put it down. He said he loves trying to sneak into the pictures the most (you will see some of his antics below)!

The cashier then pointed out the obvious, "And, you get a new cookie EVERYDAY!"

When we got home I continued to bake and when this batch was finished I gave each one of the boys and extra cookie.

As much as I get caught up in making the COD/taking the pictures/editing/writing/posting and promoting the blog that shopping trip reminded me of something. This is about my boys. To listen to them talk about what I am doing and be proud of it reminded me of how we, as parents, talk about or kids accomplishments. Cool.

This cookie is a MUST try! The chili taste is subtle and the chocolate is rich.





Chili Dark Chocolate Cookies
Add this recipe to ZipList
Printable Recipe

  • 1 1/2 bars of Ghirardelli 72% Cocoa
  • 2 Tbs Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar plus 1 TBS
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 Cup Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon Chili Powder


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    In a double boiler or sauce pan placed in a pan with a little water, melt chocolate and butter together.


    In another bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla.
    Sift flour, baking powder and chili powder together.
    Fold melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
    Fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
    Place teaspoon size drop of cookie dough onto the cookie sheet.
    Bake for 10-12 minutes.
    Cool on the cookie sheet 1 minute. Remove to rack to complete cooling.
    Enjoy!

    Oh! And remember what I said before about Ian? Well just an FYI. I have to edit his fingers out of way to many of the cookie pictures. This time, I left some of them in.




    At least he is a good sport about it :)




    Have you subscribed to The Cookie A Day Challenge yet? I am currently in the beginning stages of a web page re-do. Please subscribe so you don't miss a delicious cookie once it's complete! Also, you can like the Cookie A Day Challenge on Facebook, follow on Twitter, Google Plus, and Instagram.



    2 comments:

    Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

    Mmm chilli and dark chocolate - unbeatable :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    Lauren @ Part Time House Wife said...

    Yum Yum... Dark chocolate in the cookie form is a perfect treat! They look awesome.